Giles Clarke’s position as president of the ECB could become untenable if the board honours its commitment to reconsider opposition to cricket’s involvement in the Olympics
George Dobell28-Jul-2015
Giles Clarke, pictured with Cricket Ireland chairman Ross McCollum, has opposed English cricket’s involvement in the Olympics•Peter Della Penna
Giles Clarke’s position as president of the ECB could become untenable if the board honours its commitment to reconsider opposition to cricket’s involvement in the Olympics.The ECB has, in the past, shown no enthusiasm for cricket’s involvement in the Games. But the new chairman and chief executive, Colin Graves and Tom Harrison, gave an indication to the MCC’s World Cricket Committee (WCC) that they were open to a “rethink” of the board’s attitude.That could prove awkward for Clarke. He has been a staunch opponent of the England men’s team competing in the Olympics but, as the ECB’s representative at the ICC, would be expected to argue the case for cricket taking part if the board supported the MCC’s view that such a scenario would be beneficial to the world game.Holding critical of ‘Big Three’
Michael Holding has accused the “Big Three” countries at the ICC of “highjacking the game” for their own interest.
Holding, talking at the premier of the documentary, , criticised the boards of India, England and Australia for taking an increased percentage of the international game’s profits and stated that he “did not see how it could be healthy for the game”.
Holding, the former West Indies fast bowler and previously a member of the ICC’s Cricket Committee, said: “How can three countries think it is fair to take more money out of the game? Their percentage has increased.
“They think of the betterment of themselves only. The rest of the world is there to be used.”
Concerned that the sport is in danger of contracting around the world, the WCC urged “all governing bodies around the world to get behind a bid” to make cricket an Olympic sport. This, the committee believes, would “expose the game positively to new markets” and enable many developing cricket nations to benefit from the government funding that is linked to Olympic involvement.Whether Clarke could commit to such a policy – or live with the loss of face such a u-turn might represent – remains unclear.But there can be no doubting his uncompromising attitude towards the issue in the past. Interviewed as part of the documentary – a film which examines and exposes the lack of transparency and accountability in the administration of international cricket, which had its premiere in London on Monday night – Clarke dismissed the idea of England’s involvement in the Olympics as “impossible” and “a complete non-starter”.”It’s a tournament too far,” he said. “We don’t have the space in our calendar. The Olympics takes place during the English season. It’s impossible for us to set aside time for it. It would have an enormous economic impact on the game in this country. It’s a complete non-starter. We’re not going to be playing Olympic cricket for men.”An ECB spokesman suggested such talk was premature and that, at present, the policy towards the Olympics had not altered.